Friday 25 February 2011

Aural Pleasure

Here's what's been titillating my ears recently. Titillate. Some old, some new, all ace. I've put the banging beats to start with because it's FRIDAY and some more mellow tracks are at the bottom. Enjoy! x

Conner Youngblood- Monsters. Whomph whomph whomphawhomph. Nice contrast in subdued vocals and geetar and big old bassline. Taps into the whole James Blake ting going on at the minute.
Monsters by Conner Youngblood

Jai Paul- BTSTU. Sweet vocals, you don't notice the menace of the lyrics 'don't fuck with me, don't fuck with me'. Again with the laidback vocals and dub/electro influence. I like this a lottie because there are some retro videogame noises thrown in as well.
BTSTU by j.wilson

Suuns- Arena. Deliciously dark. I think it sounds like people in grave danger running away from peril but the singer/guitarist said this: "Arena is a romantic song that encourages dancing and love-making."
Suuns - Arena by Lunta_sen

Ladytron- Seventeen. I had forgotten about this pretty little ditty. It sounds like something you would find in a gay club in Germany. Which is great.
Ladytron - Seventeen [2002] by nettwerkmusicgroup



Here are some more laidback choons that I can't stop listening to at the minute.

Diamond messages- Liquid Summer. This is nice. Songs with naive belly/xylophoney noises= good.
Diamond Messages - Liquid Summer by Szabom


The Eastern Sea- The Snow. Stumbled across this as one of the acts at SXSW this year, you can't beat a bit of acoustic guitar with a nice boy singing about sad things.



Book of Right On- Joanna Newsom. Yes Joanna. Harps and guitars and that inimitable voice. I prefer 'The Milk-Eyed Mender' to the 'Have One On Me' album.


Banshee Beat- Animal Collective. My shuffle loves this song, I would be annoyed if it wasn't so awesome. Shimmering guitars and vocals that build and build but never quite break, some songs deserve to be over 8mins. A really long, slow aurgasm of a song.


The Beatles- Got to Get You Into My Life. I'm going through a Beatles phase again, seriously how good were the Beatles? Go and listen back to Please, Please Me, Revolver and Abbey Road. Actually all of the albums, absolute quality.


Taper Jean Girl- Kings of Leon. Really enjoying the vintage KOL at the minute, none of that new bollocks. Pulsing drums and guitars and that unmistakable Kings Of Leon drawl. Aha Sha-ake. He says 'cunts' in it, THATS how badass they used to be.
Kings Of Leon - Taper Jean Girl by djh88

The Cure-Close to Me. Do you love the Cure? I love The Cure. Lets all love the Cure.
The Cure - Close to Me by Martijn Prak

No comments:

Post a Comment